Thursday 8 September 2011

Quilter's Own Language

It's usual for quilter's to use acronyms in our posts, I came across this list of acronyms during one of my blogland trips. I think it might be helpful for some of us that aren't familiar with all those new "words". I found it a great help as I'm new to quilting and blogging and some times some of the acronyms used were a mystery to me.





Acronyms used by quilters
  • BOM = Block of the Month
  • DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine
  • FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip
  • FOB = Fear of Binding
  • FQ = Fat Quarter
  • HST = Half-Square Triangle
  • LA = Longarmer
  • LAQ= Long Arm Quilter
  • LQS = Local Quilt Shop
  • MAQ = Mid-Arm Quilter
  • OBW = One Block Wonder
  • PhD = Projects half Done
  • PIGS = Projects in Grocery Sacks
  • PP = Paper Piecing
  • QAYG = Quilt As You Go
  • QST = Quarter Square Triangle
  • RR = Round Robin
  • SABLE = Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
  • SEX = Stash Enhancing eXperience (or eXcursion)
  • SID = Stitch In the Ditch
  • SnW = Stack and Whack = pile up and cut all at once block pattern
  • Squishy=Envelopes filled with swap fabric or gifts sent/received in the mail
  • STASH = Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden
  • TGIF = Thank God It's Finished!
  • TOT = Tone-on-Tone
  • UFO = UnFinshed Object
  • VIP = Very Important Project
  • WHIMM = Works Hidden In My Mind
  • WIP = Work In Progress
  • WISP = Work In Slow Progress
  • WWIT = What Was I Thinking
  • WOF = Width of Fabric
  • WOMBAT = Waste of Money, Batting, and Time
  • WOW = White On White

8 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

LOL! I hadn't seen a couple of those :)

Maria Filomena said...

Olá Teresa!
Acabo de descobrir o seu blog através de um blog que eu sigo nos EUA...
Sou tua vizinha praticamente...
Moro em Fernão Ferro...vim cá te conhecer e gostei do que vi....
Gostei tanto, que queria ser tua seguidora, contudo não achei a parte para me inscrever como seguidora....
Será que não vim bem???
De qualquer forma, parabéns pelos lindos posts...
abraços de MF

Sallie said...

Some of these were new to me. :)

Melody said...

A few of these were new to me too. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Muito interessante!

Unknown said...

May I use this in my next newsletter? This is great to have!

Teresa F. said...

Hi Penny,
You can use it anytime.
Teresa

Lyn McFarlane said...

PhD projects half done.